Liverpool: Beatle Homes
9 Newcastle Road
"Mendips" 251 Menlove
John spent his first five years at 9 Newcastle Road (two blocks from
Penny Lane), the family home of his mother, Julia Stanley. He then moved
into "Mendips," where he was raised by his Aunt Mimi and where he lived
until he was twenty. John's mother was run over by a car and killed in
front of Mendips when John was 17.
From 1946 until 1955, the McCartney family lived in the sprawling
Speke industrial development south of Liverpool, first at
72 Western Avenue and then at 12 Ardwick Road.
72 Western Avenue
12 Ardwick Road
20 Forthlin Road
A tour group visits the National Trust home...
Paul McCartney's family moved to Forthlin Road in the Allerton suburb in
1955. (Paul's mother, Mary, died of breast cancer less than a year after
the move to Forthlin Road.)
The McCartney's old "council flat" has now been purchased and made a
historic site by the National Trust.
25 Upton Green
174 Macket's Lane
George Harrison's family moved from his Arnold Grove birthplace to Upton
Green in the Speke industrial development in 1950. George met Paul at a
bus stop in Speke when both families lived there, and the Harrison home in
this distant locale was the setting for many Quarrymen rehearsals, thanks
to the relative tolerance of George's
parents... The Harrisons moved up to Macket's Lane in 1962 and lived
there until 1965, continually besieged by Beatle
At the age of six, Ringo Starr moved to this small "two up, two down" on
Admiral Grove, just around the corner from his birthplace on Madryn
Street and in the heart of a working class area called The Dingle.
Serious health problems made the Children's Hospital on Myrtle Street
(now demolished) his second home for nearly a year.
Click to return to the Beatle sites main
page or to go to these Liverpool sites: